Monday, October 6, 2008

It's been a while....

I don't really have one subject or thought for today... so; keep up if you can... because this will be very random and pointless! haha

Here are some new obsessions of mine....

IKEA- yes, I am a few years behind everybody else with this obsession.... but, I love it. I now have plans for about every room in our house. Did I mention JM hates this new obsession.... maybe because it is an expensive one?!

Spray Paint- oh yes, spray paint can pretty much give any item a face lift! We have spray painted two end tables now, a chair, and a few other items. We are about to do a bed. Did I mention JM hates this new obsession also... maybe because he hates spray painting?! :)

Milk glass- I have acquired two new pieces in the last month from my Grandmother's house when we were having her estate sale.




G:
G hit two new milestones last month. I should have posted then... but, whatever. On 9/11 he had his first social smile. We were talking and cooing at him and he smiled soooo big. It was the cutest thing ever! On 9/17 he slept through the entire night.... this one put a big smile on my face! It has not happened every night since... sometimes he still wakes up around 4:00 am to eat.... but, that is still pretty good!

We had family portraits and G's newborn portraits taken last month. They turned out great. I will post them when I receive them.

G is going to be a baby elephant for Halloween. It is the cutest thing ever. He looks like baby dumbo.


On a more serious note...

Why do I feel like a bad mother for this?
One of the most precious things to me is being able to nurse G. It is such a special time for both of us to bond. Plus, I know he gets the nourishment that he needs. After all, it is the perfect food that God created for us.

The problem is that my milk production is low. I have been trying to build it back up for a month now... but, it keeps getting lower. I am nursing him for 40 minutes when it is time for him to eat... but, I have to top him off with a bottle. Well, I say top him off... but, it is more like feed him an entire bottle (I have to give him three ounces so he is not starving). This makes his feeding time over an hour long.... it only takes babies an hour to digest breast milk. Do you see the problem here? I am fighting a losing battle. By the time he is finished eating he has already digested the first part of his meal (or should I say appetizer?)

I'm to the point where I am about to give up and just go to the bottle. It is so heartbreaking to watch him nurse while nothing is coming out. He cries while he is on the breast and tugs and pulls. It is a battle. It's not supposed to be like that. Sometimes he is so upset while nursing that he does not calm down until I give him a bottle.

Sometimes I think I am continuing to nurse for me. I know it's selfish... but, I love the closeness. I just feel like a bad mom because I can't give G what he needs...

~Ash

2 comments:

Alaina said...

I had the same problem when I had Tas. I wanted so bad to nurse her because that's the natural thing to do, but it was a lot harder than I expected! When she was 6 months old I switched her completely to the bottle because it became like what you're talking about, it was more of a hassle for both of us to try and continue nursing and bottle feeding. I had a really hard time with it because I felt really guilty but One made me realize that what's more important is that Tas gets the food she needs to grow. Instead of dwelling on the guilty feeling, just try and focus on the good points, like at least there is formula b/c before you and G would just have been out of luck! I also told myself that no matter what I would do better nursing with the next kid. With Wilie E I made it to 9 months which was better still :)

a Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

I share your first two obsessions. It's amazing what a can of spray paint can accomplish, yeah?

As for Ikea... I walked out with three large bags filled to the brim and spent less than I would have in a normal trip to Target, so JM should be grateful you're an Ikea convert!