She is not only a great person, but a great artist as well. I love all of her paintings so much... so, it was hard for me to pick one to go above my sofa in the living room. BUT- I finally did it. I have left this spot blank for 2.5 years because I could never find the 'perfect' item to go there. Now, it is filled with more than just a painting... to me it is a memory. Every time I look at the painting I remember how full of life my Me-Mom was (I say was because she is no longer the person she was due to the dementia) and how much she loved to paint.
I recall when I was 10 years old she helped me "re-create" one of her paintings. Mine was nowhere near as good as hers... but, she praised it like it was.
It is so painful for me to watch her live the way she does now. She is in the advanced stage of Alzheimer's. It is the most heart wrenching thing ever.
When we go to see her she knows that she loves us and she recognizes us... although, she has no clue what our names are. Heck, she does not even know her own name anymore. Sometimes, she thinks my Aunt Linda is her own Mother.
When I took G to meet his Me-Mom she just sat there and held him. She looked at me and said, "I want one of these." I told her maybe we could arrange that...
So... My Aunt, my Mom, my cousin, and I went and picked out a beautiful baby doll for her to have. You know what? She thinks it is real! I am not joking... she really believes it is real. We went to visit last week and her baby was all sticky and dirty. We could not figure out what it was until we saw my Me-Mom smuggling the fruit that they (the Alzheimer's assisted living) have with their meals. She then proceeds to tell us that we need to go so she can feed her baby because he is hungry. haha.
Anyway- here is the picture that now hangs above our sofa.
~Ash

No comments:
Post a Comment