Monday, February 2, 2009

The Sunday Chat

E, has posted the new prompt for this week's discussion in order to get everyone to blog more frequently. I decided to give it a try after seeing her disappointment last night due to the lack of "blogging power" that her family possesses. ;)

So, our assignment for this week is to blog about a memorable birthday.

I have many memorable birthdays. My Mom was always great about planning birthday parties that I could enjoy with my friends. When we were younger we did not have a lot of money so they were always parties that did not cost much money, but they sure were a blast! I had many swimming, skating, and slumber parties... but, one birthday sticks out in my mind above all others.

I was turning eight years old. My best friend at the time and I had the same exact birthday... we were born the same year and all! So, we usually had to plan our birthday parties around each other. I remember that year we both had to have them on the same Saturday for some reason or another. Anyway- it was planned that I would have my party during the day and then Rhonda would have the slumber party that night.

I remember waking up that morning soooo excited. I could not wait for my friends to arrive. It seemed like forever! Although, I know it was not very long because the party started mid-morning.

This party was different from all the others because we were going to do something that I had never got to do before... PAINT SHIRTS!

My Grandmother, aka: Me-Mom, was very good and used to paint and spruce up my clothes. I had an outfit that had a shirt, socks and shoes all painted to match. Yeah, it may sound dorky now... but, all the kids wanted my clothes! haha

My mom had set a table up in the carport as the work station. There were probably 10 of us and we all got to decide what would be on our shirts. My Grandmother went around and helped all of us paint our shirts. I had a light blue shirt and wanted to paint fish on mine and make it an under the sea kinda theme. It turned out super cute. Everyone loved their shirts! After everyone was finished we left our shirts outside to dry and hurried inside for cake and ice cream.

I still remember my cake... my mom had a friend that baked and decorated cakes professionally and she was sweet enough to do one for my birthday party! It was a big sheet cake that was decorated with a cat (I loved cats at the time... now, not so much) that was playing with yarn... and the yarn had "spilled" over the edge of the sheet cake and there were three individual cakes that were shaped and decorated like yarn. It was so cute.

I don't remember what presents I got that day. I remember the important stuff, such as: my mom planning my birthday party, my Me-Mom helping me and all of my friends decorate our shirts, the cake that my mom's friend was nice enough to bring when she dropped her daughter off, and I even remember all of my friends that came.

I think the best part of the day was that after my party I got to leave with Rhonda and go to her slumber party. That meant double the cake, double the fun!

This is blurry... but, here is a picture (of a picture) from that birthday. The pictures of us making the shirts are at my mom's house... but, I had a picture of the cake.

3 comments:

AllGrownUp said...

Awwww! What a great memory. You can really tell your family loves you. Good stuff. Great Blog.

Alaina said...

Yeah, that was a great blog, thanks for sharing!

queen~e said...

What a fun birthday! Have you started thinking about G's 1st bday party yet? ;)